A housing inspector checks off a list on a clipboard

Community Services offers a Third-party Inspections Program for manufacturers of modular residential and commercial structures. The administrative rule implementing this program is Article 108-02.The program is essentially a consumer protection program, trying to assure that modular buildings installed in North Dakota meet all applicable codes. If construction related problems are found, the owner may (should) submit complaints in writing to Community Services so that we can inform the Industrialized Building Commission and the applicable Third-party Agency to resolve the problems with the manufacturers. Prior to submitting a complaint, the consumer should take every step possible to resolve problems with the manufacturer and indicate those efforts and results in the written complaint to Community Services.

The Third-Party Inspections Program requires manufacturers to hire a third-party inspection entity certified by the Interstate Industrialized Building Commission (IIBC) if they produce two or more modular residential structures per year with the intention to sell modular structures in North Dakota. (This does not mean the number shipped to North Dakota; it means the total number produced). In Article 108-02 of the North Dakota Administrative Rule, the state adopts by reference the Uniform Administrative Procedures (UAP) of the IBC.

Manufacturers of modular residential and commercial structures that produce, in total, less than two modular structures per year are exempt from the program. To be exempt, manufacturers must submit a yearly certification of exemption. However, given the potential benefit of the program to each manufacturer, local jurisdiction, and consumer, we encourage all modular residential and commercial manufacturers to participate.

Certificate of Exemption 
Housing Information Packet 

For more information about North Dakota's administrative rule, contact Ben Faul at (701) 328-5316.

For more information about the IIBC, its uniform administrative procedures (UAP), and certified third-party entities, contact Kevin Egilmez at (703) 481-2022. You may also access their web page at