The U.S. Department of Energy's Low-Income Weatherization Assistance Program works to increase the energy efficiency of homes owned or occupied by low-income persons, reducing their total residential energy expenditures, and improving their health and safety.

Complete the questions to apply for low-income weatherization assistance.  Your application will be forwarded to the Community Action Agency serving your region.  Items marked with asterisks are required.

Submit a Weatherization Assistance Application


Who is eligible?

The income of all members of an eligible household cannot exceed 200% of the poverty level. (Limits below.) LIHEAP clients are automatically eligible. Households may only receive weatherization services one time unless the home was weatherized more than fifteen years ago.

New 2024 Guidelines

Size of Family UnitMaximum Family Income
For Each Additional Member, Add:$10,760



Types of Weatherization Services

Each household is visited by an energy auditor who decides which conservation measures will be most effective for the home. There are nine general categories from which the auditor may choose based upon their ability to save energy.

  1. General Heat Waste: Measures the reduced air infiltration and heat loss in the home. This typically includes caulking and weather stripping which in recent years has been guided by the use of a blower door.
  2. Attic Insulation: Insulation is installed.
  3. Wall Insulation: Wall insulation is installed.
  4. Floor Insulation: Floor insulation is installed in floors over unheated basements or crawlspace and in mobile home bellies.
  5. Perimeter Insulation: The insulation of the interior or exterior of the foundation depending upon existing conditions.
  6. Windows: The installation of a series of window treatments that prevent or mitigate heat loss. These include the installation of storm windows.
  7. Doors: The installation of a series of door treatments to reduce heat loss including repair and replacement.
  8. Furnace Efficiency Measures: Includes testing of heating systems for efficiency and safety purposes. Repair and/or replacement is allowed based on energy efficiency and savings to an investment ratio.
  9. Building Repair: This measure includes a variety of repairs to the house structure which are necessary to protect the integrity of eligible weatherization measures.

Each energy conservation measure must return a minimum of $1.00 in savings for every $1.00 expended in labor and material costs (also called an SIR requirement). After the job is completed and inspected by the agency, the client is asked to sign off on the work. Each agency will stand behind their work for a period of one year.

Repairs can be only be made if they support eligible weatherization measures and only if the individual measure SIR remains over one when repair costs are added in. The SIR requirement does not allow for general housing rehabilitation, cosmetic improvements to the home or low payback measures such as mobile home skirting.

For information about the program contact Alyssa Kroshus, ESG-CV Program Assistant at (701) 328-5341 or Rory Hoffmann, Program Administrator at (701) 328-5386.



Community Action Program (CAP) Information

Residential energy conservation programs are available to North Dakota citizens meeting the income guidelines through the eight local Community Action Agencies. For information on your county's Community Action Agency Weatherization program, please see the links below.

Region I: Divide, Williams, McKenzie
Phone: 701-572-8191

Region II: Bottineau, Burke, McHenry, Mountrail, Pierce, Renville, Ward
Phone: 701-839-7221

Region III: Ramsey, Eddy, Benson, Rolla, Towner, Cavalier
Phone: 701-662-6500

Region IV: Nelson, Pembina, Walsh, Grand Forks
Phone: 701-746-5431

Region V: Steele, Traill, Cass, Ransom, Sargent, Richland
Phone: 701-232-2452

Region VI: Barnes, Dickey, Foster, Griggs, LaMoure, Logan, McIntosh, Stutsman, Wells
Phone: 701-252-1821

Region VII: Burleigh, Emmons, Grant, Kidder, McLean, Mercer, Morton, Oliver, Sheridan, Sioux
Phone: 701-258-2240

Region VIII: Dunn, Billings, Golden Valley, Slope, Stark, Hettinger, Bowman, Adams
Phone: 701-227-0131

If you need help filling out an application for Weatherization or LIHEAP, please call Community Options at 701-223-2417 ext 380. They can send someone out to your residence to assist you.