Applications now open!
NOTE: If you are an individual looking for support in accessing training opportunities, please contact Job Service: Training Opportunities | Job Service North Dakota
The Technical Skills Training grant was first developed in 2020 in response to the economic impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. The program supported new and expanding accelerated skilled workforce training programs for displaced workers. During the 67th Legislative Assembly Special Session, the Department of Commerce received $3,000,000 in American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funding to sustain and evolve this program. The Technical Skills Training grant program aims to offset the cost for program providers and employers in their effort to support the development of highly trained skilled workers to meet the demands of our labor market.
The Technical Skills Training grant is designed to support eligible training providers and employers in their efforts to design rapid, non-degree re-skilling and upskilling programs, expand capacity in new or existing programs that began after March 3rd, 2021, and/or move training to virtual platforms to train workers. All training programs must mitigate a workforce issue that was created or exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic.
This program has two tracks, each focused on developing a highly skilled workforce:
- Track A reflects the initial intent of this grant program and is designed for new and expanding accelerated, non-degree training programs that prepare trainees for new jobs.
- Programs in Track A may be eligible for up to $100,000 with a dollar-for-dollar match.
- Programs in Track A are not for incumbent workers.
- Track B is designed for companies wishing to provide internal upskilling opportunities for their existing staff to promote movement and advancement throughout the organization, create more comprehensive onboarding and new worker training programs, and/or provide safety training for employees.
- Programs in Track B may be eligible for up to $50,000 with a dollar-for-dollar match throughout the lifetime of the grant program.
- Eligible applicants include North Dakota colleges and universities, business, non-profit organizations, and/or trades organizations/associations in North Dakota. Note: Degree programs are not eligible for funding under this grant
- Training must take place in North Dakota.
Majority of program participants must reside and intend to work in North Dakota.
If tuition or training costs are part of the proposed application, the applicant may not pay those funds directly to the individuals receiving the education or training; the funds must be paid to the organization providing the education or training.
Pending availability of funds, there may be multiple funding rounds, with application deadlines noted below:
- Round 1 Deadline: July 7, 2022
- Round 2 Deadline: September 29, 2022
- Round 3 Deadline: December 15, 2022
- Round 4 Deadline: March 9, 2023
Applicants must review complete grant guidance and ARPA funding guidelines prior to applying.
The Reimbursement schedule is as follows:
- Initial Disbursement - Twenty-five percent – 25% of total award- upon completion of the execution of the contract.
- Second Disbursement - Twenty-five percent – 25% of total award- upon reporting and documentation by the GRANTEE showing 75% expenditures of the initial payment.
(e.g., If the initial payment was $10,000; the GRANTEE must provide reporting and supporting documentation of $7,500 to release the second disbursement)
- Final Disbursement - Remainder of funds will be provided upon report and documentation by the GRANTEE after the first milestone described in the application has been met.
For more information on how to apply, please review the Grant Guidance.
Questions regarding the Technical Skills Training Grant may be sent to Evan Moser, Grant Administrator at (701) 328-5324.