According to the US International Trade Administration, almost 8 million jobs in the US are directly supported by FDI. ND ranks 45 in jobs provided by foreign companies. A further breakdown of those numbers by States is provided in the BEA statistics for 2020 are:
SelectUSA is the U.S. government program led by the U.S. Department of Commerce that focuses on facilitating job-creating business investment into the United States and raising awareness of the critical role that economic development plays in the U.S. economy. They ran a North Dakota based report in November 2022 that contained the following insights:
1. From January 2012 to December 2021, there have been 26 announced greenfield foreign direct investment (FDI) projects in ND with an estimated capital expenditure (capex) of $1.3 billion and that were expected to create 1,753 jobs.
2. Parent companies from Italy announced greenfield FDI projects with the highest combined estimated capex during this time with an estimated $670 million invested in two projects.
3. The top industry for announced greenfield FDI projects in ND was renewable energy with an estimated $704 million in capex for three projects.
4. The Innovation Intelligence Index ranked ND 40th out of the 50 US states and Washington, DC in the Headline Innovation Index.
5. Of all trade clusters (regional concentration of related industries), ND’s Coal Mining industry has the highest location quotient (ratio of an industries share of total area employment relative to its share of total national employment) at 10.30, followed by the Oil and Gas Production and transportation Industry (9.96) and Nonmetal Mining (2.99).
6. Of ND’s targeted industries, the Wind Electric Power Generation industry has the highest location quotient at 6.29.
7. In the 2020-221 academic year, the most postsecondary certificates and degrees awarded in ND were in Health Professions and Related programs (2,470), followed by Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services (2,045) and Education (1,385).